3/05/2008

Mule Deer in the Yard

In the predawn hours of yesterday morning, I was awakened by Elena mumbling about pachyderms in the yard. I mumbled back that it was just a truck passing, but then I heard it to. The soft landing of a heavy thing in the yard. And then I woke up fully and thought, hot damn, Blog gold!
So for you, dear reader, I went and got the camera and crept around the house in my boxers when it was 17 degrees out to get these pics. I was really hoping for some elk, but alas, just 10-15 mule deer eating frozen apples from the snow. Some of them were bucks, but you could not tell from the photos...



If you don't know what a mule deer is, think about a normal deer with a big butt and really long mule like ears and then you have mule deer.

The rest of the photos of these charmingly reflecty eyed critters are here/

4 comments:

Marrock said...

Reminds me of where I grew up, whenever mom peeled potatoes I'd take the peeling out in the backyard, which led right into the woods, and dumped them.

Wait about half an hour and then go out on the back porch steps as quiet as you could and you'd find a whole herd of deer milling about trying to get every last peel.

My dad would give them a few minutes and hit the back light, and all you'd see were those glowing green/yellow eyes snap up and the deer would vanish like smoke.

Anonymous said...

Thems good eatin'...

fell a few of them, carve-n-smoke 'em, make some jerky and go ridin'!

Ain't had me no mule deer jerky in 2, maybe 3 days.

-Me

Tarik Saleh said...

Marrock,

Cool story.

LF,
Probably are good eating, possibly are riddled with prions. I will see if I can fell them with a slingshot or a snowball or my teeth or some such, they keep visiting nightly this week. They ate our poor innocent 5 dollar mutant aspen saplings last night. Bastards...

gpickle said...

If mule deer in the backyard is Blog Gold then you creeping around in your boxers at 17 degrees would be Blog Platinum!