9/30/2010

First night time commute of the season

Its been a rough couple weeks at work, lots of weird hours and bonus lightning round laptop work at home, but I have managed to mostly keep my commuting to hours where the sun shines, or just after it dips behind the mountains, so I have not needed to use my lights yet this season, until tonight. I had to finish something tonight, so I did and rode home in the gosh darn surely pitch black of night at around 8:30 pm. It was a lovely night for it. Warm, with patches of really cold air blasting down the mountain heading for an overnight inversion layer in the valley below.
I spied a pair of reflecty eyes off in the woods on the way home, probably mule deer, most likely not mountain lion, but a nonzero chance of chupacabras. There was no traffic to speak of. I got this great picture of me riding beneath the beauty enhancing glow of street lights.

nighttime commute, firstun of the year

I try to grin when i ride at night so the car's headlights reflect off my teeth.

I have been riding the Schwinn breeze all week as I have been pretty much heading straight in to work 3 miles and then coming home three miles at the end of the day with no lunch trips or offsite visits or nuthing. It has basket and fenders and for some reason is the only currently belit bike. I need to figure out my winter light inventory again. Some things are brewing on the bike front, but best just try to make em happen before reporting. I am trying to replace that which is unridden, with that which is. Sound good? Ok then. Back to the sleep.

3 comments:

nordic_68 said...

I just boosted the family winter light inventory with three 1-watt "Radbot 1000" tail lights by Portland Design Works. They seem to be the brightest AA-powered tail lights that still last perhaps 50 hours. Pretty cool!

louis said...

"nonzero chance of chupacabras" -- If I needed a band name in a hurry for the weekend, I'd have one.

Steve said...

Don't count out the chupacabras. They are sneaky near 31 October.